Getting Started With HIE Connector
The HIE integration is a ClinicTracker enhancement that includes HIE consent management and automatic transmission of transitioned appointments to your HIE (Health Information Exchange) of choice.
To request HIE Connector for your clinic, please use the Support Tab.
- Enable the HIE Connector Setting
- Go to Admin Config > Options > Admin > HIE Integration Settings > Enable HIE Connector
- Check Enable HIE Connector
- Click OK
When appointments are automatically sent to the HIE, a message will be constructed using the following settings.
Go to Admin Config > Options > Admin > HIE Integration Settings > Enable HIE Connector
- Default To Address - Default address to be used on outgoing HIE messages. This will be the address of the HIE you are integrating with.
- Default From Address - Default from address to use on outgoing HIE message. This address will be an address associated with your organization.
- Default Subject Text - Default subject text to use on outgoing HIE messages. This allows you to set a custom subject for all outgoing HIE messages.
- Default Body Text - Default body text to use on outgoing HIE messages. This allows you to set a custom body text for all outgoing HIE messages.
This setting is used to determine how far back, historically, the background process will look when querying for transitioned appointments. This setting only needs to be set once upon initial setup. Alternatively, it may be used for troubleshooting purposes.
Opt-In By Default can be enabled to automatically create an HIE consent record for a patient when their demographic record is entered into ClinicTracker. This can be useful if consent is required or collected upfront as a part of the intake process.
By default, the expiration date of newly created consents will be set to expire a year from the current date. This can be changed by adjusting the Consents Expire In X Days setting in the ClinicTracker Options form.
The text that is displayed on the HIE consent management form in Patient Portal can be customized by changing the HIE Explanation for the Patient Portal setting.
Custom Description Displayed In Patient Portal.
Patient Demographics > Actions > HIE Consent Management
The following instructions outline the process of managing HIE consent records and assume HIE integration is enabled in your system. The majority of this section will reference the consent management form that can be located in Patient Demographics when selecting a patient.
In order to share information with the HIE, consent needs to be given by the patient. This is done in the system by creating and saving a new consent record. Initially, the consent management form will open with a pending consent record that can be saved.
If no save option is available, an existing consent is likely to be selected. In this case, you will click the New button first.
If consent is already selected, click the New button to initialize the new consent record.
By default, the system will set the Given On date to today’s date and Expires On to a year from the current date. These values can be changed by interacting with the date time picker control by clicking the drop-down arrow or by entering a date using the keyboard.
- Given On - the date, consent was given on
- Expires On - The date the consent expires
Click the Save button to save the consent record
Note: Consent records can be created automatically when a patient’s demographic record is added to this system if Opt In By Default is enabled
The consent management system has been designed to allow a patient to revoke their consent at any time. To do so, select the active consent by double-clicking the latest consent record and clicking Revoke. You will be prompted to confirm this action.
There are multiple statuses to help the user determine the current state of a consent record.
- Active - This is the patient’s latest consent and it is active, meaning the patient’s information can be shared with the HIE at this point in time. The active consent is displayed in green in the Consent History grid in both ClinicTracker and Patient Portal.
- Inactive - The consent record was either future dated or overridden by a newer consent record.
- Expired - The consent record has expired.
- Revoked - Consent has been revoked.
- Consent Management (Patient Portal) The consent management form in Patient Portal works much the same as it does in ClinicTracker. Follow the instructions below to access the HIE management screen from the Patient Portal.
1. Click the profile settings icon in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
2. Click to Share My Medical Information
The Audit Log
An audit log is kept to track appointments that are being sent to the HIE or any errors that may occur when making the attempt. As an administrator, you can access the audit log by following these instructions.
1. Click Utilities, and then View Audit Logs
2. Select the HIE Integration: Sent Appointments log type and set the appropriate filters
3. Click Display Results